Voting begins March 19 for the Nevada Treasures contest
The Silver State is full of treasures, and we’re not just talking about Nevada’s mineral wealth.
Nevada Treasures are the many places and things about our state that its residents love, from hiking paths to hamburgers, Western outfitters to wildlife refuges, casinos to campsites. The public nominated Nevada Treasures during the first two weeks of March as part of the Nevada Treasures social media contest. Nominations include museums, recreational sites, restaurants, performing groups, festivals, ghost towns, scenic drives — even an actual person. Now you can review those nominations at www.DiscoverYourNevada.com and vote for your favorites.
There are six categories in which to vote:
- Cowboy County (68 nominations)
- Indian Territory, a statewide category (25 nominations)
- Las Vegas Territory (105 nominations)
- Nevada Silver Trails Territory (76 nominations)
- Pony Express Territory (76 nominations)
- Reno-Tahoe Territory (240 nominations)
A winner will be determined in each of the six categories.
Voting will continue in an elimination-style format through May 4, and on May 7 , winners will be announced and the Nevada Commission on Tourism will develop travel packages around those winners.
The voting rounds are as follows:
- First round of voting: through 5 p.m. March 30 (top 20 identified)
- Second round: 9 a.m. April 2 to 5 p.m. April 6 (top 10 identified)
- Third round: 9 a.m. April 9 to 5 p.m. April 13 (top five identified)
- Fourth round: 9 a.m. April 16 to 5 p.m. April 20 (top two identified)
- Final round: 9 a.m. April 23 to 5 p.m. May 4 (winners identified)
The Nevada Treasures contest is part of the Discover Your Nevada campaign, designed to get Nevadans to explore their state. The campaign, sponsored by the Nevada Commission on Tourism, was launched by Gov. Brian Sandoval, who will be taking road trips this spring as part of the Discover Your Nevada effort. For more, visit the website www.DiscoverYourNevada.com.
(Above, the sagebrush, Nevada's state flower, is seen in this picture.)