Hauntober in Virginia City
October 1, 2020 @ 5:00 am – October 31, 2020 @ 7:00 pm
It’s Hauntober on the Comstock
In a town with a haunted history as deep as our mines, October in these parts is aptly called – Hauntober. Head to Virginia City any time throughout the month of October for spooky fun the whole family can enjoy.
Pumpkin Patch trains on the V&T Railroad. Halloween Country Dancing at Piper’s Opera House. Fright Night, an evening of award-winning spooky short films. Cemetery Gin’s Hunt for Spirits. Safe Trick-or-Treating. And more. There’s something festive and fun going on all month long.
All events adhere to Nevada state COVID-19 guidelines currently in place including social distancing and facial covering requirements.
Cemetery Gin’s Hunt for Spirits
Spend Halloween here in one of America’s spookiest haunted towns. Costume-up and make sure you’re wearing a mask as you embark on Cemetery Gin’s Hunt for Spirits, a fun and tasty scavenger hunt through the town. Using your historic Virginia City knowledge, solve the riddles and get clues to unlock and unscramble a secret of our town’s past. Along the way, sample a variety of spirits at participating shops, saloons and restaurants. Unlock the mystery and win prizes. The faster you solve the mystery, the more spins on our digital prize wheel you’ll receive.
Please note that tickets for this event are only available in advance.
More Hauntober Events
From ghost hunting to pumpkin picking, there’s an event for you this month in Virginia City. The following events take place throughout the month:
Bats in the Belfry Guided Ghost Tours
Bats in the Belfry Guided Ghost Tours, all month long. If you want to know where the most haunted locations are in Virginia City, this is the tour for you. Take a walk around this historically haunted town and learn about the lively souls that still occupy it today. Click here for more information.
- Halloween Bingo, Oct. 15, 7 p.m. at Piper’s Opera House—Join the fun at Piper’s Opera House for Bingo Night with a twist. Game starts at 7 p.m., come ready to win! Join the game.
- V&T Railroad Pumpkin Patch Train, Oct. 17 & 18 and 24 & 25, 11:20 a.m., 1:20 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. – A pumpkin patch is fall’s ultimate playground for kids so why not make an adventure of it with a train ride to the Gold Hill Pumpkin Patch. Purchase train tickets today.
- Halloween Country Dancing, Oct. 17, 6 p.m. at Piper’s Opera House– Monthly country dancing at Piper’s Opera House has a twist for October, Halloween themed. Come out in your costumes and get ready to kick up your boots. All ages and skill levels welcome. For more information click here.
- Spirits with the Spirits, Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m. at Piper’s Opera House – Come learn from craft cocktail expert, Joe Shapiro, and get in the spooky spirit. This class includes a lecture and demonstration on Cemetery Gin cocktails, Virginia City’s very own spirit. All ingredients and supplies are provided. The event is a 21+ event and space is limited. Purchase your ticket today.
- Paranormal Investigations at Piper’s Opera House, Oct. 24, 6 p.m. – One night only! Bats in the Belfry, local investigators, are taking you on an exclusive tour of Piper’s Opera Houe. Come look for spirits that occupy the historic structure. Three investigation times are available and limited space on each. For more information click here.
Halloween Weekend Events
Virginia City Cemetery Tours
Once a year, on Halloween only, the gates to the historic Silver Terrace Cemetery open for visitors to stroll from dusk till dark. Guided tours begin on October 31st from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children 12 and under.
- Haunted Halloween Steam Train of Lights, Oct. 30 & 31, 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. (adults only at 7 p.m.) — Get in the haunted spirit with a ride on a spooky evening steam train from Virginia City to Gold Hill. A special 7 p.m. train departs for adults only on the Jersey Lil and features adult beverages to enjoy on the way. Tickets available online.
- Cemetery Gin’s Hunt for the Spirits, Oct. 31 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. — Embark on Cemetery Gin’s Hunt for Spirits, a fun and tasty scavenger hunt through the town. Using your historic Virginia City knowledge, solve clues to unlock a riddle and unscramble a secret of Virginia City’s past, sampling tasty spirits along the way. More details here.
- Hauntober Parade, Oct. 31, 5 to 6 p.m. – Little and big goblins alike, come dressed to scare at the Hauntober Parade on Halloween night. Check-in is at 4 p.m. at the VC Jerky Company. Stick around for safe trick-or-treating at the many shops along the boardwalk.
- Mackay Mansion Halloween Scavenger Hunt, Oct. 31, 6 to 11 p.m. – Welcome all ghouls, witches and creatures to Halloween event at one of the most spirited buildings in Virginia City. Enjoy a town scavenger hunt, paranormal investigation and movie to wrap up your Halloween night. More information here.
- Fright Night at Piper’s Opera House, Oct. 31 6 – 9 p.m. – Head up to historic Piper’s Opera House for an evening of award-winning spooky short films featuring some recognizable stars, followed by a Q&A session with the filmmakers themselves. Tickets include the movie screening, hosted wine and popcorn bar and a costume contest with more than $1,000 in prizes. Tickets available online.
Mackay Mansion Scavenger Hunt
Welcome all ghouls, witches and creatures to Halloween event at one of the most spirited buildings in Virginia City. Enjoy a town scavenger hunt, paranormal investigation and movie to wrap up your Halloween night. More information here.