The Great Western Steam Up
July 1-4, 2022 at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City
Held in the heart of Nevada’s Capital City, make the Carson Railroad Museum’s Great Western Steam Up your loco-motive this summer. Hosted by the Nevada State Railroad Museum — Carson City, this once-in-a-lifetime event celebrates the 150th anniversary of the completion of the V&T Railroad, linking Virginia City and Carson City, NV with the rest of the world. Showcasing 13 steam locomotives from six historic Nevada railroads, there’s no better way to introduce the whole fam to Nevada’s sterling history and heritage.
Besides a historic gathering of steam locomotives, discover all kinds of steam-powered equipment including fire pumpers, automobiles, tractors and a steam “donkey” engine, along with “lost art” demonstrations including blacksmithing, knife making, and more. VIP ticket packages are available, along with an exclusive V&T 150 Dinner.
With more than 10 operating steam locomotives representing six historic Nevada railroads, The Great Western Steam Up promises the largest reunion of existing Virginia & Truckee locomotives in the world.
- Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge No. 18, the “Slim Princess”
- Eureka & Palisade No. 4
- Santa Cruz Portland Cement No. 2
- Virginia & Truckee No. 12, Genoa
- Bluestone Mining & Smelting Railroad No. 1
- Virginia & Truckee No. 11, Reno
- Virginia & Truckee No. 18, Dayton
- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad No. 5
- Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Co., Glenbrook
- Virginia & Truckee No. 22, Inyo
- Virginia & Truckee No. 25
- Cortez Mines LTD. Railway No. 1
- Virginia & Truckee No. 21, “J.W. Bowker”
- Darndanelle & Russellville No. 8
- Virginia & Truckee No. 1, Lyon
- Dayton, Sutro & Carson Valley “Joe Douglass”
- Virginia & Truckee No. 27
Event tickets go on sale beginning March 1, 2022 for $29 per day for people ages 12 and older, and $10 per day for children 4-11 years old. Children under age 3 are free! All tickets include unlimited regular train rides on a first come, first served basis. All proceeds benefit the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City.
For more info on The Great Western Steam Up, including a full schedule of events, purchasing tickets and more, click here or get in touch with event organizers directly at (775) 687-6953.